Past Exhibitions at the Accademia Gallery
The Arnina by Lorenzo Bartolini
November 18 – February 8, 2015
For the first time ever, the original marble Arnina by Lorenzo Bartolini is on display at the Accademia right alongside the gesso of the statue that is part of the museum gesso collection.
The small but precious exhibition will allow visitors to learn more about the work by local Prato sculptor Lorenzo Bartolini. The Ninfa Arnina’s location had been lost through time and was discovered by English researcher John Kenworthy-Browne in 2013 in a private English collection. So for the first time ever, the original is on display to the public right alongside the gesso owned by the Accademia. Both the statue and gesso carry the inscription of the statue dedicated to Alessandro degli Alessandri, president of the Academy of Arts. In 1825, the sculptor was “courting” in an attempt to be named Chair of the Department of Sculpture within the Academy, at the time vacant. While he did not receive the nomination, in 1830 he did become professor of sculpture at the Academy. This and more details about his work and life are present at the exhibit within the Accademia.
Franciscan Art: Masterpieces of Art and Asian lands from the 13th to the 15th centuries
March 30 – October 11, 2015 ** extended to November 11 **
The Accademia’s first exhibition starts in the medieval era, exploring the origin of one of the greatest religious and cultural phenomena in Western and world history: the Franciscan movement. The movement made an incredible contribution not just to religion but to art as well, as it spread like wildfire to the East as far afield as China itself, and Franciscan friars commissioned works for their churches and convents.